humidifying tube

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Feb 28 06:46 MST 2002

An earlier thread discussed the problems with Dampp Chaser units in pianos
such as choir room uprights which get moved around a lot.  I started to
mention these Hydraceels at the time, but remembered I haven't noticed them
in a supply house catalog in quite a while.  I've never used one, but
wondered if they wouldn't be a "better-than-nothing" solution for those
pianos in which Dampp Chasers would not be a workable solution due to
constant unplugging, sloshing, etc...

Granted, higher maintenance, but when you've got deep humidity cycles (or
15% lows as was discussed), it's not merely the tuning that suffers.

If I remember correctly, they were relatively expensive considering their
construction.

Just a thought.
Jeff

Jon Page wrote:
>These work. I've have used one in an upright and it kept the pin block
>tight through the winter months.
>
>Not as hi-tek and DC but better than a mayonnaise jar but effective none
>the less.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.