CTE-Master Tuning

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed Jan 9 09:12 MST 2002

An addendum: If you are changing notes in the temperament, your
committee also needs to listen to the rest of the piano to establish a
new master tuning. Changes, particularly in the temperament, affect
relationships throughout the piano (parallel 10ths and 17ths, octaves,
double octaves, etc).
	I'm wondering if maybe the problem was in the original recording of the
master tuning. It's recommended, for instance, that the midrange be
recorded as soon as the committee agrees on it, then each section is
recorded as it is complete. And that the midrange be re-checked for any
drift at a couple points during the process.
	I have never experienced a problem of the sort that Avery describes.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico