Steinway legs & castors

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue Jan 22 01:48 MST 2002

David wrote:

<< >I have a Steinway S at a hotel which is rolled about 100 feet across a
 >hardwood floor.  They do not want a truck so I'm thinking double rubber
 >wheel castors.  These should fit without too much trouble?
 >
 >David I.

 Ron wrote:

<<I'd recommend a truck anyway, or nothing. Nothing but a truck ties the legs
 together, and regardless of whether you have double casters or triple
 caster individual leg dollies, rolling a piano any distance regularly
 without the bracing support of a stage truck is asking to get someone hurt.
 Personally, I would have nothing to do with this if they didn't want to do
 it as safely as possible.  >>

BIG TIME ditto.  I am astounded at the carelessness of hotel personnel when
it comes to moving pianos.  Just about any advice we give will come back to
haunt us when the legs go (and go they will, if the piano is moved a lot).
At least a piano truck is GOOD advice.  But the hotel might push its luck
with the piano truck, too.  I had a Young Chang at an airport Marriott that
was trekked a couple football fields from a dining room, across the lobby,
down one long hall, through/over a couple double door thresholds (tight
squeeze through metal door jambs), up another long hall and out the next
doors (same type threshold), across the outdoor pavement, down a narrow walk
against a stucco wall, and finally up a step to the big outdoor party gazebo!
 Piano looked like the help and their buddies were riding on top, too.  And
the engineer dared to complain when Young Chang, who had promptly sent out a
pair of reasonably priced new legs, hadn't packed them well enough and they
weren't absolutely perfect upon arrival (although the hotel schedule was
kept, and the piano cabinet was already shot).

Bill Shull