Temp fluctuation affect?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Jan 24 08:56 MST 2002

My own experience tells me that the situation you describe has little
effect - that is, in home, daily fluctuations. In certain circumstances
temp fluctuation can have dramatic effect, usually in connection with
moving air or radiant heat hitting the strings. An example of the former
is a heater vent blowing hot air or an open door with a cold breeze.
This wreaks havoc, especially on bass strings. But close the
door/lid/heater vent and wait a while, and, in my experience, the havoc
goes away. (And for harpsichords, ten times the result, ten times
faster, other than the going away part). Radiant heat is sun or stage
lights shining on the strings of an open grand, a similarly temporary
effect (though the stage lights are unlikely to be temporary, since
they'll stay on and the lid will stay open).
	In an institution with a fairly modern facility, there is constant air
flow (even if not that perceptible) due to the air exchange factor in
HVAC design (several air exchanges per hour). Thus, temp changes and
humidity changes have much more effect on pianos. Give me a stuffy home
for tuning stability any day, even if the temp changes 10 to 15 degrees.
In churches around here, some of which typically don't heat except on
Sundays, I don't really find it causes that much of a problem. Probably
due to low relative humidity in general in this part of the country.
Pipe organs, though !! I'll stick to pianos.
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico