Everett Pinblock Repair

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri Jan 25 08:00 MST 2002

List,
I've got a handful of old Everett studios, some of which have the pinblock
pulling away problem.  These pianos aren't currently in critical situations
and are more or less surplus, so they don't receive a lot of attention.
But we're considering "loaning" some to other entities on campus for
informal use, and I'd be responsible for maintaining them.  I could loan
them old Hamiltons, but I'd rather keep those here for music students.

Is it absolutely necessary to lower the tension to do the repair of
replacing the pinblock screws with bolts which go all the way through the
frame? or can one leave the tension up and simply clamp each section during
the process?

I'm trying to keep time spent to a minimum.  If I have to lower tension,
that increases the risk of string breakage and subsequent repair, meaning
more frequent trips across campus after delivery for retuning.  If it's
going to be more trouble than it's worth, I'll just send a Hamilton.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician