a little knowledge...

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 25 22:07 MST 2002

List,

This morning I tuned two pianos for a classical concert this evening at a
fancy hotel.  Got there at 9:15 am and found the brand new Boston at -7
cents...pitch raised and tuned and then proceeded to the grey market Yamaha
C3.  At 11 am one of the pianists...very young...with parents in tow came in
and sat down at the back of Salon I & II.  Daddy came up and checked out the
name of the Boston.  Soon Mom came up and said there must be a communication
problem as she was told they could come at 11 am and try out the pianos and
they had an appointment to get to...I told them I hadn't received this info
and I would be done as quickly as I could, about, 11:30 am
approximately...so I proceeded and finished with them talking in the
back...They came up and moved the pianos as I packed up and Daddy said "is
that a Kawai?".  (I knew he had looked at the name and I said "Yes,
basically".  Then he said   "Hey, have you heard what Yamaha is doing with
their keybeds?"...with the same tone as asking a buddy about the football
team...I responded that I wasn't sure... "Yeah, there putting foam in
there."  "I saw a demonstration with a Baldwin and they drilled a hole in
the keybed"...I told him I would check into it.  He also said he could tell
I knew what I was doing as a lot of tuners didn't pound...(I don't pound, so
those other tuners must really me light fingered.)...;-]

Anyway...a fun way to start the day.  So List what's this about foam in the
keybeds of Yamahas?

David I.