Fw: Perfect Pitch

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 29 17:21 MST 2002

List,

I received this post from a customer with perfect pitch.  I thought it =
might have some interest to the List.

David I.

David,

We were talking about perfect pitch at rehearsal last week, and a few =
days later a friend send me a photocopy of the following article from =
the December 2001 issue of=20
Discover magazine.  I found it online, and am sending it on, as I =
thought you might find it interesting.=20
Judy=20
 =20
 =20

The Biology of ... Perfect Pitch=20
  Name That Tone=20
  Can your child learn some of Mozart's magic?=20
  By Michael Abrams=20

  The psychology annex building at the University of California at San =
Diego=20
  has no elevator, but it has something even better: a singing =
stairwell. "It's a=20
  low F, I think," Diana Deutsch says, pausing on the top step to listen =
to the=20
  wind's howl. Deutsch has a face as round and sprightly as a sixteenth =
note, a=20
  red bob of hair, and a doctorate in psychology. She also has perfect =
pitch. "I=20
  realized I had it when I began taking piano lessons at the age of 4," =
she says.=20
  "It was a great surprise to me that other people could not name notes. =
It was=20
  as if everyone around me was unable to name colors."=20

  Mozart must have known how she feels: He could name a single note from =
a=20
  tolling bell or a chiming pocket watch. Yet only one in 10,000 =
Americans=20
  has perfect pitch, and even professional musicians tend to make do =
with=20
  relative pitch: They can name only the intervals between notes. To=20
  approximate perfect pitch, some musicians memorize just one note, =
usually=20
  middle C, and then use relative pitch to navigate to others. But these =
pitch=20
  estimators need a moment of thought to name a note, and they tend to =
be=20
  slightly off. (Granted, the notes themselves are a bit off: In =
Handel's time, an=20
  A above middle C had a pitch of 422.5 vibrations a second; these days, =
that=20
  same A has climbed to 440 vibrations a second.) People with perfect =
pitch=20
  name notes instantly and they're invariably correct.=20

  For decades, biologists thought that perfect pitch was a genetic =
anomaly,=20
  passed on from generation to generation. Identical twins are far more =
likely=20
  than fraternal twins to have perfect pitch, and nearly half of all =
people with=20
  perfect pitch have relatives who have it. But studies by Deutsch and =
others=20
  have shown that perfect pitch is far more common than it seems. It's a =
form=20
  of speech rather than a feature of music-and like speech, it can be =
learned.=20

  The essential idea began to take shape in Deutsch's mind three years =
ago,=20
  when she was studying music perception among people from Vietnam. The =
study subjects, she found, had no trouble=20
  understanding her Vietnamese when she spoke at the correct pitch. "But =
when I deliberately shifted my pitch-to an=20
  extent that would be barely noticeable in English-it was as if I'd =
said, 'I like your beat,' or 'I like your bite,' when=20
  I'd meant to say, 'I like your boat.'" Just to communicate, she =
realized, Vietnamese have to identify pitches correctly.=20
  What seems like magic to Americans is just second nature in other =
parts of the world.=20

  "The real puzzle about perfect pitch is not why so few people possess =
it but rather why most people do not,"=20
  Deutsch says. "Everyone has an implicit form of perfect pitch, even =
though we aren't all able to put a label to notes.=20
  It's as if people suffer from a kind of anomia: They can recognize the =
note but can't label it. What's learned as a child=20
  is the ability to label." In a study published in 1994, psychologist =
Daniel Levitin at the University of Oregon asked=20
  subjects to sing hit songs such as "Hotel California" from memory. =
Forty percent came within a semitone (the=20
  change from F to F-sharp, for instance) of the first pitch on the =
recording. If someone was a little off-key, it was=20
  probably due to their singing ability: They could hear the correct =
pitches in their heads; they just couldn't reproduce=20
  them. "I have perfect pitch, but I sing terribly out of tune," Deutsch =
says. "Toscanini had perfect pitch, but I've heard=20
  it said that he insisted on humming out of tune . . . very irritating =
to the players. There really is a difference between=20
  perception and production."=20

  Deutsch has spent the past few years circling in on this innate sense =
of pitch through a series of experiments. To=20
  demonstrate, she sits me down in front of a microphone and digital =
audiotape machine and asks me to talk about=20
  anything I wish for five minutes. Although she seems interested in =
hearing about my flight from New York and the=20
  malfunctioning flaps on the airplane, she's really after my pitch =
range. Most people's voices, she says, stay within a=20
  single octave-a do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do, identified by the =
name of its first and last notes. "Congratulations,"=20
  Deutsch says, after analyzing my soliloquy, "you're a G-sharp, just =
like me."=20

  Pitch ranges are often a handy way for people to distinguish males =
from females and very young children from adults.=20
  But Deutsch thinks the distinctions we make are far more subtle. "You =
can evaluate whether a person is speaking=20
  your dialect based on the range of their voice," she says. "Supposing =
you want, as birds do, to judge if someone's=20
  from the same geographic region. You may be able to do so by evoking a =
pitch range."=20

  The best example of this ability is what Deutsch calls the "tritone =
paradox." Imagine two tones played one after the=20
  other. The first tone is actually two separate notes an octave apart-a =
high and low C, say-played in perfect unison=20
  so that they sound like a single tone. (When Deutsch performs the =
experiment, she plays six octaves at once, but=20
  they still sound like one.) The second tone is a "tritone": a note =
exactly halfway between the two octaves-a G-flat=20
  in this case. Although the G-flat is between the two Cs, some =
listeners hear it as higher and some as lower,=20
  depending on their pitch range. More intriguing still, their responses =
vary depending on where they were raised.=20

  Pitch ranges are so clearly tied to geography that Deutsch can often =
guess where her subjects or their parents grew=20
  up. Californians tend to have a pitch range that starts and ends =
around C-sharp; Vietnamese have a range that starts=20
  and ends around E. The predictability of those ranges suggests, in =
turn, that people develop a sense of pitch at a very=20
  early age, perhaps even in the womb. "Children probably pick up their =
pitch range from the voices they hear around=20
  them," Deutsch says. "The noise of the mother's voice comes through =
very loudly during pregnancy."=20

  For most of us, learning to keep within a certain pitch range-and to =
identify that range in others-is all the voice=20
  training we really need. When Deutsch recently asked English speakers =
to read the same list of words on different=20
  days, she found that their pitch for any given word could vary by as =
much as two notes. But speakers of certain tonal=20
  languages, such as Vietnamese and Mandarin, don't have that much room =
for error. In Mandarin, for instance, the=20
  word ma can mean "mother," "horse," "hemp," or "to scold," depending =
on its pitch. In a study presented to the=20
  Acoustical Society of America, Deutsch found that tonal speakers hit =
the same pitches dead on, day after day, and an=20
  unusual number of them have perfect pitch.=20

  Certain genes may help some people acquire perfect pitch more easily =
than others, but Deutsch's findings suggest=20
  that almost anyone can learn to label notes-provided they start young. =
Children who don't learn to do it by the time=20
  they learn the rudiments of language may never gain the ability. =
Deutsch thinks that parents should give young=20
  children access to musical instruments, preferably with labeled notes, =
to help the process along. "I often wonder if I=20
  acquired my perfect pitch because I had a color-coded xylophone as a =
kid," she says, noting that people with perfect=20
  pitch have a higher incidence of synesthesia: When they hear a sound, =
they see a color. Even when they don't, she=20
  says, their gift adds an extra dimension to their listening =
experience, revealing the music's architecture as well as its=20
  sound. "It's as though you are seeing the musical score scroll past =
your eyes."=20
 =20

  RELATED WEB SITES:=20

  Details of Diana Deutsch's study of Vietnamese and Mandarin speakers =
can be found at=20
  www.acoustics.org/press/138th/deutsch.htm.=20

  To learn about perfect pitch, visit www.provide.net/~bfield/ =
whatabs.html and www.provide.net/~bfield/=20