Tight bushings

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri Jun 14 18:20 MDT 2002

Is the bushing felt graphited?
The action movement heated it up, increasing the friction.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 7:47 PM
  Subject: Tight bushings

  OK all you engineer types.  I was repining some hammer flanges today =
on a Steinway that has been in a practice room.  Action parts are =
Renner.  It gets hard play 14+ hours a day.  The action was rebuilt 4 =
years ago.  Nearly all of the bushings were quite tight -- most 1 or 2 =
swings.  A few had 3 swings and I was pinning for 4 so since the action =
had been in the shop (idle) for a couple of weeks, I thought maybe I =
could just vigorously work the shank a few seconds and it would swing 4. =
 I'd hold the flange and make the hammer swing back and forth fairly =
forcefully for 5 or 6 seconds and then test it again.  In each case the =
ones that previously would give 3 good swings, now only gave 1.  The =
hammer dropped from horizontal to vertical and stopped dead. =20

  What made the bushings get tighter by simply working the flange?  I'm =
stumped!

  dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu