Les Noces

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 6 10:23 MST 2002

Hi Eric,

I can't resist this, it's so interesting. I would try one of two
techniques, both of which I've used with two pianos to my
satisfaction. 1: Tune each piano to their own stretch numbers, and
they will match unless there is more than a 10 cent disparity in any
one number. 2: Measure all three stretch numbers for each piano, then
average the numbers and tune all four to the same stretch numbers.
The former brings out the beauty in each individual instrument and
sacrifices the perfection of the whole, while the latter ensures
close tuning among the instruments while sacrificing unique beauty.
In this case I would be tempted to go with #1...it's Stravinsky after
all! Dissonance required... Just my two cents worth. And by the way,
I sang in the choir for this piece in college, and it is fabulous.
Don't miss a chance to hear it live.

Mary