Les Noces

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed Mar 6 10:51 MST 2002

Eric:

I don't have a tuning file for a Kawai EX, but I have the other 3.  I
use TuneLab Pro so I loaded the Steinway D tuning then used the PTG
tuning test mode to compare it with the CFIIIS file.  It showed a 1
point error at B7 (the highest note tested).  Next I compared it to
the Baldwin SD-10 file I have and that would have scored a perfect
100 on the tuning test.

If I had to do that here I think I'd tune each piano to its own best
tuning file and forget it.  I doubt that there are very many places
where each piano is playing the same note.  As I said, I don't know
about the EX so you're on your own, but I doubt that it would be THAT
radical a departure from the other 3.

Good luck with the gig.  It sounds like fun.

dave

On 3/6/2002 at 12:01 PM Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) wrote:

>Hello fellow cauts and caucts,
>
>We have an interesting scenario here and since it well may be a
situation
>unique to our environments, I am interested in everyone's opinion on
the
>subject. Our Chamber Choir, Chorale and Percussion Group are
performing
>Stravinsky's Les Noces this weekend. I'm not familiar with this
piece (yet)
>but it calls for 4 pianos. As it turns out, we can place 4 concert
grands
>onstage our large auditorium without any hassle. The interesting
aspect of
>this setting is that the 4 pianos consist of a Steinway D, a Yamaha
CFIIIs,
>a Kawai EX, and a Baldwin SD-10. I'll bet everyone can guess the
next
>question: How would you tune these pianos to each other? My
assistant
>Lawrence Becker is the lucky guy assigned to that hall and is up
there
>tuning right now for the first rehearsal using his Accutuner III.
With
>instruments this dissimilar, my instinct is to pick the file of the
piano
>that seems the most middle of the road and tune all 4 pianos to the
same
>tuning file. In the past, I've experimented matching up 2 similar
pianos in
>various ways (I use a cybertuner) with equally adequate and
interesting
>results, but have not encountered a challenge like this before. What
would
>you do?? I'm sure Lawrence will appreciate any input when he returns
from
>his investigations.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Eric Wolfley, RPT
>Head Piano Technician
>Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
>University of Cincinnati

David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts