Les Noces

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 14:33 MST 2002

On 3/6/02 2:15 PM, "Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL)" <WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU>
wrote:

> Wouldn't good unisons amongst all 4 pianos be preferable?

Ah, but, are you _sure_ (rhetorical question) that tuning all 4 pianos to
the same tuning record would produce the best unisons, especially in the
tenor? If A2, for a given piano, is calculated to make a good double-octave
with A4, wouldn't another piano's calculation for the tuning of its A2 make
a reasonable unison with the first piano's A2, even if it is "different"?
They would still more or less line up at A4, at least. Think about it. :)

I would urge you to take the advice voiced here several times and tune each
piano to its own calculated tuning.

Your point that using a single tuning record for all the pianos would simply
put different levels of stretch in the various pianos is correct, but I
think the tuning variations resulting from inharmonicity differences from
piano to piano are somewhat greater those tuning variations that result from
differences in stretch preferences from tech to tech.

To answer your question about concert stretch preferences, I start with (RCT
speak) OTS 4 because I can't stand excessive stretch in the mid-range and
tenor. I use CEQ to add lots of extra stretch at A5 and A6, up to OTS 7-8
levels for that part of the scale.

Kent Swafford