new piano scratched

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed Mar 6 16:05 MST 2002

The university got a new B 2 weeks ago, (a gift from an Alumni), for the
recital hall, and in just a couple of days, someone has put some major
scratches on the top. Although I was expecting the piano to take some abuse,
I was disappointed in how soon it got damaged. The recital hall gets used
about 4 periods a day for classes, and 4 hours a day for rehearsals,
recitals, lessons, etc. We are going to try to keep the room locked, but most
of the time it is open.

The chair doesn't want to restrict the use of the piano. Although there is a
light weight cover on it, and I have ordered a heavy duty cover, some of the
piano faculty want to keep the piano under lock and key.

What are some of you doing to keep new or newer pianos in good condition, not
so much action wise, but appearance wise?

Wim
Univ. of Alabama