new piano scratched

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed Mar 6 16:58 MST 2002

Wim:

We just had our main "D" refinished over semester break.  It has a
fully padded cover and I've had the backs of the doors going into the
piano garage carpeted.  The back of the garage is also carpeted.
Still it has several dings, and one nice scrape already.  It bugs me,
but I'm not willing to stay there and guard the pianos 24/7.  They're
going to be used and moved by students.  I need to get a burn-in
knife and learn how to use it I guess.  I've avoided doing any of the
"pretty" work since I have zero skills in that area.  I hate to start
using a Magic Marker at this stage.  I had done a lot of that before
we got it refinished.

We did put locks on our recital pianos at one time, but that was a
hassle and it didn't seem to help.  In fact we had one visiting
"artist" come in and break the lock off.  He hasn't been back!

dave