workload formula revisions

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed Mar 13 10:32 MST 2002

In a message dated 3/13/02 10:05:42 AM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

Fred

I did the calculations last fall, and came up with a number almost exactly as
my situation; 1.1 techs for the number and condition of pianos at UA
Therefore, I thought the formula was right on the money.

However, I don't know if there is a need to alter the formula in regard to
the upright/grand situation. I even want to go as far as stating that perhaps
there should not be any difference at all between the two. If done right, an
upright can take as much time to tune, vocie, repair, and regulate as a
grand. I think the difference is going to be reflected in the use of the
upright. For the most part, you're not going to have an upright in a concert
type setting, much less a teaching studio where the pianos needs constant
attention. Most of the upright pianos are going to be in practice rooms, or
teaching studios where they get minimum use. A few uprights are going to be
in classrooms, where they might need once a month maintenance, but then that
will be reflected in the usage category.

That's my opinion, but then I've only been at this for 6 months. I'll be
interested to know what some other's opinion on this are?

Wim