buffing aggraffes?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri Mar 15 08:27 MST 2002

Ron asks

>All of that effort. Why not just buy sparkling new ones and send
> the old ones to the recycler? How old are the ones you're trying to "pretty
> up?"

I agree,  new agraffes are the way to go, if possible.  The buffing will not
restor the taurus to the holes, and by the time you have cleaned them, and
reamed them, you could justify the cost of new ones.  Old ones are more
likely to break, also.  Especially after they have been retorqued!
   The one problem I have had with new ones is the older model Steinways that
used the 7/32" thread. The new ones are cut smaller,sometimes so small that
the threads strip out as you tighten them into the plate!
Why we can't get 7/32" threads that measure the full .217" is beyond me, but
every supplier I tried had undersize threads in this size.  duh...
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT