Suggestions for Piano Trios

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Mar 15 13:50 MST 2002

Hi David,

At the bottom is a list of pieces/composers one of our piano faculty
gave me. He does a lot of chamber music and also coaches it.

>Greetings!
>
>Here is an unusual request.  I have a friend who is currently searching for
>different and interesting music to play for a concert series this summer.
>Specifically, he is looking for music for piano trios, quartets, or
>quintets.  He is interested in music from the turn of the century up
>through the present.  He enjoys the trios by Brahms, Ravel, Dvorak,
>Korngold, Franck, and Frank Bridge.  If you have any suggestions for music
>that is exciting and interesting, I will forward the suggestions to my friend.
>
>Thanks!
>
>David A. Vanderhoofven
>Joplin, MO

I think that there are trios by Cecile Chaminade, Amy Beach,
Paul Schoenfeld's Cafe Music (Very Hard, though),
Aaron Jay Kernis' Still Movement with Hymn (Piano Quartet),
Hindemith Clarinet Quartet,
William Bolcom Rags (Trio) ....,
David Ashley White's Elegy and Exaltation (Trio).
Faure Quartets,
Smetana Trio,
Arensky Trio,
Taneyev Trio- Quartet - Quintet....
Tchaikowsky and Rachmaninoff Trios.....

David Ashley White is Director of the School of Music here, BTW.
Hope this helps.

Avery