pin pounding

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sun Mar 17 10:59 MST 2002

How about turning the piano upside down and applying CA glue to the pin
holes?
Ed S.

----------
From: Steve Kabat <s.kabat@csuohio.edu>
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: pin pounding
Date: Fri, Mar 15, 2002, 12:56 PM

Dear list;
    If any of you have any input/observations/etc with the following I'd
appreciate it- you can respond to the list or to me at s.kabat@csuohio.edu
<mailto:s.kabat@csuohio.edu> . Thanks much.
    I've been asked to do some work on a 1913 Steinway L- the pin torque is
marginal and since this is a consignment -type situation the institution
offering the piano doesnt have money for what I think should be at least
oversize pins/restringing or block replacement.  What I'm suggesting is to
pound the pins  and do necessary action work with the understanding that the
work involved is a stopgap measure- more extensive block/restringing type
work, perhaps total rebuilding, might be a recommendation a few years down
the road. We all like to cover our butts, don't we?
I'd appreciate any comments as to the viability of this option or whether I
should tell them to leave the instrument as is and let the buyer beware, or
recommend real restringing.  Thanks much, all.
Steve Kabat