buffing aggraffes?

Mark Cramer cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon Mar 18 09:10 MST 2002

Wow Paul, I'm off and running for my Lee Valley catalogue!

The biggest problem with buffing agraffe,s is reaching all surfaces
efficiently. The "buffing" belt sounds like a great solution!

I've also been impressed at the results some have had using the 1"
belt-sander as a component of their tool-sharpening systems.

Thanks fellow CAUT's for your very helpful replies, and best wishes for a
rewarding week!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Paul
Kupelian
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 3:45 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: buffing aggraffes?

Hi Mark,
I am a firm believer in keeping the original agraffes.  To that end I have
developed a procedure which is both fast and easy.  First of all, you need
a one inch belt sander with a buffing belt (Delta makes both), and one of
the agraffe reamers that Pianotek sells.    Then I have fashioned and
agraffe holder to put the threaded portion of the agraffe in.  It is piece
of oak about two inches long by an inch wide and a half inch thick.  I
taper one end down (the end the agraffe screws into) on a sander so it
looks like a hugh carpenters pencil.  I drill a hole in the tapered end
long enough to screw the agraffe into. I dress the buffing belt with
jewelers rouge, I guess that is the same as tripoli.

All of the agraffes are kept in order.  This is important.  I take a piece
of piano wire and knot one end and as i remove the agraffes I string them
on the wire.
I have another piece of wire to put them on when I polish them.

One side benefit of using this method is that the brass is reanealed due to
the heat generated from the buffing.  Also the holder keeps you from
burning your fingers.  Be sure to wear a mask to keep the rouge dust out of
your system.

Once they are polished, I use the reaming tool to refurbish the holes.

I have had many compliments on how nice they look when reinstalled.  I do
have a supply on hand and only replace those that may break.

Paul Kupelian, RPT
SUNY Oswego, Ret.
--On Friday, March 15, 2002 9:07 AM -0600 Mark Cramer <cramer@BrandonU.CA>