keyframe bedding

Jon Ralinovsky ralinoj@muohio.edu
Tue Mar 19 07:51 MST 2002

Hi list,
I have an older Baldwin M that has bedding problems.  The back rail
beds nicely, but the front rail has a gap of 1/16" at the bass end,
then the gap tapers to being bedded at around middle C - this is with
all the glide bolts out of the way.  It appears that at some point,
the front rail was dramatically sanded; there are lots of sandpaper
marks on the front rail.  When I use a straightedge to examine the
arch of the keyframe from back rail to front rail, there's a space
between the straightedge and the balance rail except at the bass end.
At that point, the straightedge touches the balance rail and there is
a space between the front rail and the straightedge.

The courses of action I'm considering are: sand the balance rail at
the bass end until the front rail can be bedded or rout out a chunk
of the front rail and put in a new piece of maple.  Any suggestions?
Advice?  Thanks!

Respectfully,
Jon

Jon Ralinovsky