keyframe bedding

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue Mar 19 08:15 MST 2002

> but the front rail has a gap of 1/16" at the bass end,
>then the gap tapers to being bedded at around middle C -
>
>The courses of action I'm considering are: sand the balance rail at
>the bass end until the front rail can be bedded or rout out a chunk
>of the front rail and put in a new piece of maple.  Any suggestions?

Greetings,
    I have had a lot of success, with ease, by gluing a strip of veneer,
thicker than the biggest gap, onto the bottom of the front rail. Then,  sand
it until it all fits again.  You will end up with a long, tapering wedge of
veneer.
   I use plastic resin glue for this, since there will be some contact
between the glue surface and keybed when it is all sanded to fit, and I don't
want humidity to make a problem with the glue's sliding ability.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT