'D' Update

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon Mar 25 08:50 MST 2002

List,

I promised I would, so here's a little update on the 'D' problems.

Having to do "SOMETHING", with the help of a tech from the dealer,
we got it working and sounding very good.

The Houston Symphony Chamber Orchestra was in the Opera House for
3 days last week and one of the pieces was the Beethoven 4th, played
by Alon Goldstein. I'd never heard of him but he played beautifully!
Originally from Israel, now living in Italy.

Anyway, after the first rehearsal, I went in the next morning to
touch up the tuning (it had had to be raised to A-442) and had a
note from him saying that there were some repetition problems.

A dealer tech was coming in that morning to try and finish up the
voicing he'd done earlier but after that note, I went ahead and
raised the hammer line to get them off the backchecks, checked let-off
and drop and went through the repetition adjustment.

When the tech came in, we talked about it and decided to also raise
the checking a little and readjust the repetition. It evidently worked
because the pianist was very pleased with it.

So, until I can get a new set of hammers custom bored, remove the
"shim" under the back rail and put in a new set of backchecks at the
correct height, unless I get any more complaints about it, that's where
it's going to be. It's fairly light with just a little more dip than I
normally like but everything works fine and I was told that the concert
was spectacular! The Chamber Orchestra is made up of the first chair
players from the Symphony with any additional players needed picked from
the best of the rest. :-)

They pay top dollar to rent the hall because the musicians LOVE to play
there. The acoustics are so good that they can actually concentrate
on playing musically, instead of worrying about being heard like they
have to in their usual facility downtown. They've even talked about
increasing the series here to two performances next year instead of one.
They were even willing to pay me my normal outside fee for the tuning work
getting it to 442 and then lowering it, rather than renting a 'D' from
the dealer! It's cheaper for them to do that than to rent a C & A piano
at a cost of $500-$600.00! Plus, I can always use the money! :-) And
unlike the previous time, they asked me if I'd be willing to do it and I
had plenty of time to do so and get it stabilized, so I said yes. The
opera loaded in the next day, so I also have time to get it back down
and pretty
well stabilized before it's needed again.

The pianist even wanted to take that instrument to another facility here
in town for a concert the next night!

So, unless other problems develop, I'm through worrying about that one
for a while!

Just thought I'd let you know.

Avery