changing hammer line

vem@email.byu.edu vem@email.byu.edu
Mon Mar 25 15:56 MST 2002

Lance,
Before removing the hammers, test the tone by moving the action in and out,
lifting the front if necessary.  If you find that you need to move some of the
hammers, tape a piece of paper on the key bed and allow it to protrude past the
keyslip area.  Position the action in its original position, mark where that is
on the piece of paper, then move the action to where it sounds better, and mark
that position on the paper, so the distance betwixt the two marks will tell you
how far and in what direction to place the new hammers.  Make sure the paper is
in the vicinity of the area you are testing.
vince

- List,
- I am replacing hammers, shanks and flanges, on a concert grand soon and the
- hammer line in the treble section may have been tampered with.  So, before
- hanging, I need to find or confirm optimum strike location (particularly in
- the lower treble section). What is the _best_ way to go about this?  How
- does everyone secure the hammers temporarily (strips of paper? tack glue?),
- listen, move around, etc before permanently gluing end hammers?  Thanks,
-
- Lance Lafargue, RPT
- Mandeville, LA
- New Orleans Chapter, PTG