changing hammer line

Tue Mar 26 02:21 MST 2002

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> >On Masons and Bechsteins the hammers are NOT hung at 90 degrees to the
> >shank.  The Mason the strike point is tilted 1 degree towards the keys
> >and the Bechstein only God and the assembler knows what and why.
>
> It's a Bechstein, so I'll be in prayer tonight ; ), (since Bechstein is no
> help). I'll look at originals. Thanks for the post.  I will be digesting for
> a bit.
>
> How about the idea that w/out voicing and regulation, strike location can't
> be finalized?  Thanks again,

The better you get the strikeline in the first place the better the result is
going to be.  Dont hesitate to pop off a hammer and reglue if you find you have
missed the sweetspot. Sometimes this can cause a sort of curved line in the so
called killer octave area, and sometimes the last 7 or 8 notes can sway a bit.
Whatever... most often you can take end samples, get them in place and glue the
remaining to make a straight line inbetween. And then if you need to move
anything you usually have just a couple or so to move.

There is, and has always been and will always be differing thoughts and points
about the rake of the hammer.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.