changing hammer line

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Tue Mar 26 05:30 MST 2002

> There is, and has always been and will always be
> differing thoughts and points about the rake of the hammer.

The primary objective is to have the hammer hit the string so the
molding is at 90 degrees to the string.  This provides the most power.

The problem with Bechsteins is that the angle of the high treble is a
function of being able to get _to_ the string at all, forget about 90
degrees.  The other problems I have had is that the plate is so
irregular that the bore distance can change radically from one section
to the other.  The question then becomes, did they change the geometry
of the action to accommodate these weirdness?  These pianos seem to be
assembled by craftsmen but without regard to any standard.  I guess
their thoughts are to "make it fit" and to hell with the hind most. :(

So, study, pray, hope then close your eyes and do it. :)

		Newton