changing hammer line

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Tue Mar 26 06:31 MST 2002

At 08:57 PM 3/25/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Masons and Bechsteins the hammers are NOT hung at 90 degrees to the
> >shank.  The Mason the strike point is tilted 1 degree towards the keys
> >and the Bechstein only God and the assembler knows what and why.
>
>It's a Bechstein, so I'll be in prayer tonight ; ), (since Bechstein is no
>help). I'll look at originals. Thanks for the post.  I will be digesting for
>a bit.
>
>How about the idea that w/out voicing and regulation, strike location can't
>be finalized?  Thanks again,
>
>Lance Lafargue, RPT

On the Bechstein I installed new h/s/f on last year, the formula for hammer
length (string height - hammer center height)
did not work because the hammers would have been so long that they would
have not fit under the pin block.

Careful calcuation and trial and error (fit hammer, check square to
strings) was the only way to get a fit.  The treble is particularly
troublesome because you have a narrow space between the belly rail and the
v-bar for the hammer's arc.

I think the bass ended up having a 10 degree tilt back and the treble (last
section ) 3 tapering to 1.

It regulated and sounded fine, actually better than before because the
hammers were not hitting the strings squarely.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com