changing hammer line

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Tue Mar 26 17:55 MST 2002

Lance-
My Bechstein experience is limited to one piano.  It was an 1895 piano,
about 7 feet long, all agraffes, and wippens connected to the key rockers.
It was something of a fishing expedition to get the best hammer line.  You
need to be sure the hammer shape will clear the plate flange, and also note
that with the angled hammer bore, the shank is above horizontal at let off.
It would be best to have the piano in the shop if possible. If not, plan on
extra trips to check the fit and strike points.  Also check the backcheck
angle; you may need to shape the hammertails to fit.  None of this is
complex; it's just a little different from our usual, so it takes a bit
longer.
Did you mean to write 1985 or 1895?  I don't know what a 1985 Bechstein
plate looks like.  I yield to my superiors.
Ed