change at the top. was Re: The Piano in Academia, A Symposium

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@ezwv.com
Wed Mar 27 16:34 MST 2002

I'll echo Ed's take on this subject. I've been at MU since 1970 and have
survived 7 changes in department chairs,  5 Deans,  and 7 University
Presidents.

The current chair is a trumpet/jazz/composer dude.

I continually hammer ( with religious fervor ) my commitment to quality and
excellence and the departments 31 year history of like commitment re our
piano inventory.

I have always had the full support from the "top" . However, this is West
Virginia, where coal is an abdicated king, so the support doesn't often
translate into $$$$$$.

Paul E. Dempsey
Marshall University
Huntington WV