Workload - "usage"

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Wed May 1 06:54 MDT 2002

Hi Fred,
     I really like the idea of breaking down usage into more categories.  My
results were overwhelmingly in the light category even though  most practice rooms
are used eight to twelve hours daily.  With instrumentalists and vocalists, the
pianos are used minimally.   The only pianos I could honestly class as heavy were
all piano major practice rooms, and one of the pianos in each piano faculty
studio.
     The kind of use yields spectacular differences.   Comparing a vocal faculty
piano and a jazz band piano both used about the same in time, the jazz piano sees
much more wear..
     If we are truly honest , considering all semester breaks, holiday breaks, and
summer, there really aren't very many pianos which hit beyond the light category.

      I wonder if all of the input numbers for usage should be moved down just a
bit?

     Perhaps one hour a day or less of reasonable use should constitute light
use?   2-4 medium?   Special  discretion allowance for jazz or rock pianos?  A
very heavy category for piano major rooms?