workload simplified

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri May 3 07:51 MDT 2002

Hi Marcel,
I did that last year, but I had to hide the lights.  They drove the
pianists crazy.  One prof thought I told them to unplug the system when I
said I would be disconnecting the humidifiers.  Everytime I'd go in his
room I found it unplugged and I'd plug it back in.  It was the end of the
summer before I found out he'd misunderstood (and it wasn't the custodians
doing it).  I'm unplugging them again this year as soon as the water runs
out.  I fail to see the reasoning behind watering a piano in 70%+ RH.  Some
rooms here will get to 80%  I had 75% in the recital hall just yesterday
(Thurs) and it was 35% Monday.  With a cold front coming through this
weekend, I'm not quite sure what to expect come Monday.  I can't recall
having seen 35% humidity in May before.  We're usually more stable by the
middle of April.

Thanks,
Jeff

>Hi Jeff,
>
>Here in Sherbrooke, I unplug the humidifier in the summer. The humidity
>level is always above 60% and the student in charge of watering the system
>is on vacation. The pitch will go up a little anyways, but the tunings are
>still stable and I don't have to do pitch raises in december and lowering in
>august.
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT
>Sherbrooke, QC

Jeff Tanner