Workload-"condition"

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri May 3 12:04 MDT 2002

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:
> With all due repsect, Fred, this is a cop out.
>
> Wim
Wim,
	Nope, not a cop out. Just the plain truth. I am a congenitally
overcommitted person. With respect to PTG, in addition to my involvement
in CAUT, I am an active CTE - did one tuning test and three pre-tests
since January, have two more tests before convention. I am also Regional
CTE, meaning some adminstrative duties and committee work. And I am
active in my chapter - we're putting on an all day seminar in one week,
and my role has been to recruit an outside instructor and do ongoing
liaison.
	In my private life, I am involved in my local community - over the past
three years have been an active member of the citizens advisory
committee revising the master plan and zoning ordinance, a process which
is coming to completion this summer. I am a serious performing pianist -
most recently, three weeks ago I performed a solo recital devoted to
works by Villa Lobos, where I "released" a CD of the same music which I
had recorded at the end of last summer and privately produced. I have a
wife and children, and an extended family including elderly parents and
in-laws. I won't bother to go on.
	With respect to my comment that "it is unlikely that any effort I might
undertake in that regard would be worth my while," I have found my
interchanges with you extraordinarily unproductive, producing much more
heat than light. In fact, they seem to have subtracted light and made
issues more obscure. You are the only person corresponding on this
listserv of whom I would make such a statement. It is my impression that
you love to argue and squabble, to "make points." I don't care to carry
on conversations in that vein.
	You complain of not being listened to because of being a newby to caut,
and having limited experience. Well, I'm sorry, but to be taken
seriously in any venue, you have to "pay your dues," demonstrate you are
worth listening to. A good way to start is to make sure you do your
homework - for example read what is available, and read it _carefully_.
But more importantly, you need to show just a wee bit of humility. Maybe
it's just possible that the brilliant idea you think is the cat's
pyjamas would be obviously faulty to anyone with broader experience.
Coming on aggressively and claiming everyone else involved in the
discussion is heading in the wrong direction, well, it just isn't an
approach that's likely to win you friends and make people listen to you.
	The CAUT field is very different from any other. That's why we have a
caut committee and a separate listserv. It takes many years to get a
real handle on what the job entails. Partly this is because of the
increased demands for quality in this milieu (to one extent or other,
all pianos are expected to be top-notch all the time). Partly it is the
"on-going" nature of the work incomparison with the "outside world." You
don't just rebuild or recondition a piano when that is needed, you do a
very large number of incremental "touch-up" operations to try to keep
all pianos at the best level they can be all the time, given time
available. And, by the way, this is a basic reason I don't think your
approach is a viable substitute for the one I am working on. It deals in
discrete operations rather than a continuum.
	Well, that's plenty enough along these lines. I hope this clarifies my
position and my previous comments. If not, well, you'll just have to
make do, as it is my final word on the subject.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico