Statement?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Mon May 13 12:37 MDT 2002

Mike and All,
Comments interspersed:

Mike Jorgensen wrote:
>Hi Jeff and All
>         Thanks for responding, I hope this stimulates discussion.   Have
>cauts made any salary progress since 1990?

I've not seen CAUT numbers for 1990.

>From what I've researched, it appears that CAUT salaries, or those I have
data on, have increased mainly respective to COL increases over the same
time.  Here in SC, we've averaged well below CPI increases the last 4
years, but I do not have our figures for 1990 either.

>        Established private sector techs are "highly paid professionals".
>Unabashedly, we should insert that and/or similar descriptive phrases into the
>guidelines to bolster our pay and status.

As long as it is understood that "private sector techs are highly paid
professionals" in such a statement.  But if the statement leads
administrators to believe that we consider what full-time techs are
currently averaging is considered "highly paid", then have we accomplished
anything?

>     Comparing to self employed techs has one concern.  Private techs work at
>high wage, but many work few hours so total yearly incomes can be low.

Yes, this is true, and is the reason I worded it as "...should be
competitive with that which CAN BE EARNED by successful technicians AND
OTHER SIMILARLY SKILLED professionals in the local private sector
reflecting the true value of the skill involved in piano maintenance...."

They're paying for knowledge, experience and expertise, not how many hours
a day every private tech puts in.  When I refer to "successful", I'm also
implying "busy" or "in high demand", and I see no reason to explain this in
the Guidelines.  If we know private sector techs making above $80K, I see
no reason not to use these figures.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician