Statement?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed May 22 15:22 MDT 2002

So then, what is the best method for establishing the salary of an
institutional piano technician?

I know right now of a private sector utility company hiring unskilled
apprentice workers with high school education at $16/hour with the full
compliment of benefits.  Their workday will be weekdays 8 - 4:30, and when
they're there any time other than that, they'll get 1.5x overtime, with a 3
hour minimum.  After two years as apprentice, their base pay will increase
to $42K, and can earn up to 5 weeks paid vacation according to years of
service.  It is not uncommon for this position to pay in excess of $50K
with minimal overtime investment.  They'll have pension, as well as
profit-sharing, with company matched investment in stock plans.  (Our state
currently isn't even matching 401K contributions).

My salary is very close to the average of those in the CAUT survey, and is
at $18.58/hour.  Therefore, the average CAUT pay is comparable to that of
unskilled workers with no experience in the private sector.  That's my
argument.

Why shouldn't we earn salaries which are more comparable to SKILLED,
EXPERIENCED professionals in the private sector?  Sure, self-employed techs
don't get the group benefit plans and paid holidays and vacation, but
that's the case with any self-employed scenario.  They also have the
potential to earn a lot more money in an 8 hour day than we do.  Over the
past year, I've seen ads in the Journal placed by private sector
dealerships looking for technicians which advertise salaries, the lowest of
which was barely below the average CAUT salary and was for an "apprentice
level" technician, and up to $75K for a capable store tech. One even
provided transportation.  And yes, they all advertised paid vacation,
health insurance, 401K, etc.

I see ads for truck drivers, "will train", which offer salaries comparable
to our average.  Ask what the mail carrier, or the UPS driver (threatening
a strike again) makes.  How do our skills compare to those?  Is there no
value for our highly specialized skill?

Sure, we enjoy our work, and the work climate and benefits are good (but
really not a lot different from what's available from employers in the
private sector).  But groceries cost money.  Are we working as volunteers
so that we can enjoy what we do?  Or are we working to put groceries on the
table and a roof over our heads?  Paid leave is a very nice benefit, but
unless we spend it working, it puts no additional money in our pockets, and
besides, most every company in the private sector offers that for their
skilled professionals, too.

If we as a group truly consider ourselves to be highly skilled craftsmen,
requiring the highest skill levels in the craft, then why are we content
with what everybody else considers entry level salaries?

Jeff