Statement?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu May 23 10:07 MDT 2002

In a message dated 5/22/02 7:46:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
vem@email.byu.edu writes:

> I cannot agree with Wim less when he says that a CAUT's salary should be
> comparable to other full time staff positions at their respective
> universities.  Like secretaries, huh?  Bologna!!  How would we be "shooting
> ourselves in the foot" if we "advocate" that CAUTs should be earning
> what "upper end" piano techs in the private sector earn??  That to me would
> be
> exactly what we SHOULD be holding up as an example!!
>
> Look.  It's simple.  What could YOU be making privately, in an 8 hour day?
> Take that figure, minus the benefits package, and voila!  There's your
> salary.
> Period.
> vince

Vince

I said NOT like a secretary. You are right that the formula, working an 8
hour day, minus the benefit package, is a good salary. So let's take a look
at that.

First of all, as I pointed out, very few technicians work an 8 hour day. Most
techs I know, who consider themselves full time, work 50 or 60 hours a week.
Maybe they are out there tuning pianos from 9 - 5, but then they come home
and do paper work, make telephone calls, set up appointments, etc., and all
of a sudden, there's an extra 10 to 20 hours.

Benefits. I presume most universities give about the same benefits. First of
all, I only work 37.5 hours per week. I get 4 weeks of paid vacation, plus 6
paid holidays. I get 1 day per month counted towards my sick days, that's
another 12 days a year of paid time. My health insurance costs me $175 per
month for my wife and I. Last year I was paying $550 per month. I get time
off to attend seminars and conventions, and I actual get reimbursed some of
my expenses for the convention. I can take 2 classes per semester free. If I
had kids, they would get free tuition. It costs me $30 per month for my wife
and I to go to the rec center. I was paying $700 a year for the both of us to
belong to Balleys. (Because I work only 3 blocks from there, I go almost
every day at lunch to work out. Last year I got to go maybe two or three
times a month, and even then, I had to go out of my way to get to a club.)
And last, but not least, 3% of my income is deducted for retirement, which
the state will double when I retire.

I make $20 per hour, times $37.50 is $39,000. My vacation time, sick days,
and holidays adds another $5850. The difference between what I used to pay,
and what it cost me now for health insurance is $4800. The difference in rec
center is $340. Retirement adds $1170 per year. This year I am taking 3 weeks
of professional development time, at $20 per hour is another $2250. That's
$14,410. in "benefits." That doesn't even include the tuition, which I am not
taking advantage of.

My full time income from the university has a value of $53,410. Is this in
line what a "full time" technician makes?

Wim