Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :(

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu May 30 15:36 MDT 2002

> I would like to get it back
> to the original style HPs.

Why?  The pins are a better termination than the old aliquot system.

But if you must, there is a low melt alloy available (TV infomercial) that
should work just fine.  It does not get hot enough to effect the cast iron.
Melt it in, file, and drill for new pins.  I would suggest plugging a few holes
in other metals to determine what drill bit to use and if tapping over the pins
will cause loosening in the alloy.

But why?

> What kind of material could I get in the right size that
> would also have the same basic metallurgy as the plate?

If you want to go that way, the brass will work just fine.  If the drilling job
is sloppy then even several sizes of brass may not work too well.  Oval holes
and such.

> So I guess it's actually a Steinwin & Hamlin.

That you might just leave in place, if it is well set up.  (Yeah right)  S&S's
belly rail and sides have been known to move a little so if it is functional
leave it alone.

> Why do people do these things??

Arrogance.

> especially from someone who has successfully
> dealt with this, would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I have no experience but I have lots and lots of opinions. Just ask me. :)

I wish you luck on this one.  Quite a mess indeed but I would look at it in
terms of "how long as this lasted, do these mods great any real problems (except
in you own mind) and will the piano be improved or more compromised in trying to
make it "original", and will the expected improvements merit the time and who
else will know the difference.

If there are stability, tone or serviceability problems then indeed deal with
them but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Think about this carefully and plan out an approach and think about whether this
is a good time investment for you and the school and the rest of the piano.

		Newton