Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri May 31 04:41 MDT 2002

>Maybe the retrofitter worked those numbers, listened to the finished
>piano, and was satisfied.  But we have no idea.

Who was that masked-man?     Perhaps by asking the retro-fitter the reasons
for these modifications and the
resultant opinion of their effect would help decide how to proceed. Did the
applications really improve the tone
or did they not have the desired effect.  This insight could direct your
actions.

My concern would be over the integrity of the plate in the HP area. Del
pointed out some time ago that this area
is not thick enough to support vertical HP's reliably, the bass is but not
the treble. Is there room under the plate
to install a thickness of metal to brace the area or would that be warranted?

It might be advisable to include a disclaimer in your repair estimate that
the plate may suffer some damage
from the unloading and reloading of tension as a result of the previous
modification.

Here's something else to look forward to...maybe with the HP mod, the rim
bolts are the double-thread type used by Baldwin.

Best of Luck,

Jon Page