Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri May 31 10:06 MDT 2002

Not to argue with whether it is possible to do a _well-tuned_ back
duplex with vertical hitch pins (I agree, it ain't gonna happen), but
Baldwin certainly tried to do an approximately tuned back duplex in all
accujust pianos I've seen. IOW, placement of the accujust pins is
designed to come up with back-tuning at approximate partials of the
speaking length. Every other unison has one "out-of-tune" for obvious
reasons stated by Ron.
	How important this is to overall tonal output, I have no firm opinion.
It's like the whole question of tuned duplexes - does it really help to
try to tune them "right-on?" My general opinion is "probably not."
Probably better that they be somewhat out of phase. But I think tuned
duplexes are far better than a "random" back length, which tends to be
close to one length (as in a single brass rod in a groove, as we see in
many less expensive pianos). Or maybe random would be just as good as
tuned, as long as it was varied sufficiently (in other words, like most
"tuned" duplexes).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico