Replacing Steinway Action Frame?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:22:38 +0100

You will have to bend the feet so they are in place on the key frame.
Then you will have to make adjustments so the stack lies on the frame
without resident tension.

Bending the feet is not that hard. They come pre-bended from Hamburg ,
but depending of the year the bending is more or less OK.

Big pliers, and rubber hammer for me (no warming needed). I screrwed
the feets on a heavy support before bending, to avoid undue
deformation, but I am not sure it is really necessary, you can always
check the squareness between the rails with a square

Adjustment keybed/stack may be done in the piano.

I'd suggest that you mesure the position of the rails vs the stack, to
be sure that you will be back at that place with the new stack.
Anyway, as usual, papering & traveling will remain after that.

I'd be cautions too that the stack you will receive will be ready for
a 113 mm spread, and that your whippens are may be not the latest ones
(more probably no), so change the whippen at this moment.

Done it once actually so no more experience there.

Isaac OLEG