maintenance figures

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:25:15 -0800

Let's see....... that's an average of app. 4 days/piano/year -- not counting
concert instruments.  Say we've got 100 pianos in the stable.  Working every
day of the year, we come out 25 days behind.  (No, I lied.  Every leap year
we catch up by one day, so we'd only be 99 days behind  at the end of 4
years.)  That's 6.25 pianos/year with no care at all, or about 1 less tuning
per piano.  Assume we are given 2 weeks vacation (or at least recuperation
in the sanitarium) per year.  That knocks another 3.5 pianos off the list,
or another tuning off half of them.  Let's be real generous & take the
weekends off (not likely).  That's 104 days, or 26 less pianos with no care
at all, or all pianos with no tunings & some service, or one tuning on all &
some service, or a couple of tunings on everything & very little service on
anything.

We've worked a year & we're already 6 mos. behind.  Gee!  This is beginning
to sound familiar!  :)

Otto

Piano Technician
University of Idaho
208-885-7918
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jorgensen, Michael L" <jorge1ml@cmich.edu>
To: "College and University Technicians" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 9:05 AM
Subject: RE: maintenance figures

> Hi Blaine,
>     That's a tough one since humidity swings, usage, expected standards
vary so much and yet will have tremendous impact.   I know Willem was
designing a task based workload formula which would be very useful for that.

>  Under average conditions, to maintain in reasonably good condition,
>
> After initial prep to highest standards,
> 4 yearly good solid tuning/voicings minimum (1.3 days)
> 1 action regulation after six months and every two years thereafter (3
days each)
> Replacement of certain parts 10 years away.  (10 days plus cost of parts)
>
> A piano kept at highest level during busy concert seasons, 3-4 hours
weekly on tuning, voicing, and keeping regulation to exacting standards is
possible.  Replacement of hammers could come in as little as three years.  A
second piano voiced differently will reduce the amount of voicing and
increase the longevity of hammers..  One voicing standard does not please
every pianist.