Steinway Fallboard Hinge Noise

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:20:16 -0600 (CST)

I've had noises coming from fallboard (KEYLID, according to S&S
nomenclature) hinges on Steinway B's and D's off and on for a number of
years and would like to hear any time-tested remedies or suggestions. On
one instrument I've simply resorted to completely removing the hinge and
narrow board on the front of the fallboards to eliminate the problem, but
it just doesn't look right!

Thanks!

John Minor
University of Illinois

PS. Does anyone know why they made the hinged fallboard in the first
place? When did this start? I know our older S&S's don't have them. I'm
guessing more efficient manufacturing method.