Resident Piano Technician

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Sun Sep 1 20:10 MDT 2002

Tim Coates wrote:

> Moving on up!  I believe he is now assistant to the music director.
> Congrats to Rolf!

Thanks Tim.  The rumor is true except for the "moving on up" part.
It's actually more like "moving on over" financially and, based on what
I was doing already, managerially.  I have heard it said more than once
that most jobs are essentially janitorial; if that's the case then it's
probably true that good management is at least 90% janitorial.   So
maybe I'm headed on a downwardly mobile path:)   In any case, as for the
question of missing full-time piano work, I think only time will tell.
The chance to explore a newly defined position and work closely with a
new director of music was simply too enticing an opportunity to pass
up...

For those who are curious, the position I'm taking combines both
administrative and technical responsibilities.  In sum it involves
collaboration with both the Director and full-time administrative
assistant in carrying out the directives of the music department,
specifically, the day-to-day coordination of departmental activities
(planning, scheduling, communication, hiring, oversight of instrument
services, allocation of funds), while secondarily assisting the (new)
resident piano technician with key elements of managing a successful
piano tech service area (such as targeted help in maintaining concert
and studio instruments during peak periods, contact with vendors,
suppliers and outside contractors, hiring seasonal technicians, and
helping determine an acceptable level of general administrative
support).  The concept provides sustained administrative advocacy at key
levels within the institution for purposes of ensuring adequate staffing
and budgetary outlays for piano technology, and frees the resident
technician to do more of the creative and artistic level of work s/he is
hired/trained to do.   This type of arrangement should give the
technician maximum flexibility to design and implement a program of
maintenance that works well, be able to communicate needs and concerns
effectively across institutional lines, and provide adequate access for
continued professional growth and development.

As for the big picture, like many of you I have for years been working
on addressing the specific problems resident technicians face in
maintaining with integrity an inventory of pianos over time.  The
challenge has always been, and continues to be, to develop an
organizational model that can be creatively applied and effectively
managed which encompasses the wide range of responsibilities, job
categories, reporting structures and totally unique situations faced by
institutional employees and contract technicians on a daily basis.  The
solution(s) can be complex (as the ongoing efforts of the CAUT
committee, working tirelessly on proposed revisions to the "Guidelines
for Effective Institutional Piano Maintenance", can attest), and
continue to evolve with additional shared knowledge and experience.   My
hope for this particular 'experimental' organizational structure
outlined above is that it will be successful not only at Interlochen
Center but might someday become a model for future consideration and
implementation within our field.

The piano tech position currently available will require a uniquely
qualified individual with significant concert tuning/prep experience,
artist level technical abilities, respect for and understanding of
institutional processes, and (preferably) a previous association with,
or aptitude for, summer festival work.  It's a lot to ask of one person,
but depending on ones' personal outlook and professional goals the
rewards can be many as well .  Although there will be a search committee
comprised of piano faculty and others who will review applications and
make recommendations, ultimately the decision will be made by me in
consultation with the Director.  Our hope is to offer the successful
candidate a compensation package of comparable worth to what s/he is
making now, factoring in such elements as cost of living and non cash
benefits.  Candidly, I would not recommend applying for this position if
money is your primary motivation; that said however, I think the
compensation/benefits package is competitive especially considering the
availability of affordable housing (duplex and single family homes on
campus -- some located directly on the lake -- can be rented with
utilities included using pre-tax dollars), paid meal plan, 75% tuition
remission for private pre-K thru 12 school and a multitude of quality of
life advantages which, if a priority, could definitely tip the scale in
favor of relocating.   Certainly a unique aspect of the position would
be working with/reporting to someone within the administration who is
also a technician ('unique' in a good sense, I hope:)

Serious inquiries should be directed to me privately at:
vonwalthara@interlochen.k12.mi.us.   Ideally we would like to have
someone on staff, full time, before the end of the year.

Rolf von Walthausen
Assistant to the Director
Music Department
Interlochen Center for the Arts