Piano Maintanance for the Piano Teacher

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@iswt.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:50:19 -0500

In November the University of Tennessee at Martin is hosting Andreas Klein.  The Piano Professor at UTM is having a Saturday symposium for Piano Teachers where Klein will give a master class.  She is also arranging for other presenters:  a former Artist in Residence at UTM, Dr. Allison Nelson/Loebekka on "How to Practice" and someone else present a session on "Massage of the Pianist."  She also asked me to present the following:

Will you give a presentation on piano repairs and maintenance for the piano teacher?  There are many things most of us don't know but should know.  How often does a key get stuck because  a child dropped a penny down between the keys?  How often does a pedal not work because something simple came loose?  We need to be reminded of the importance of regular tuning.  Tell us how to determine if a piano needs refurbishing or rebuilding. And on and on. . .

Any ideas from the illustrious members of the List!

Joy!
Elwood Doss, Jr.
Martin, TN