melting plastic SOT

dabell58@earthlink.net dabell58@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:56:53 -0400

Dear Wim and all,

  Probably the easiest way to understand the question is to recall that
there are many kinds of plastics, and they don't all behave the same way.

  Here's more detail: Keytops are basically acrylic, which is a plastic
formulation containing carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. The oxygen molecule is
very attractive to electrons (negative charges), and the resulting plastic
has its electrical charges unevenly distributed, more electrons near the
oxygen molecules.

  High-density polyethylene (recycling label #2) is used to make chemical
storage bottles. HDPE is made up only of carbon and hydrogen and has its
electrical charges evenly distributed over its whole area.

  Acetone, because it is made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, has
uneven distribution of its electrical charges. It readily dissolves (mixes
with) other unevenly charged compounds, such as acrylics (keytops) but is
repelled by and does not mix with evenly charged compounds, such as HDPE
(container bottles).

  That's the story.

  Best wishes,

  Dorrie Bell
  Ph.D., Physical-Organic Chemistry, Brandeis University
  Associate Member, PTG