after ring

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:39:40 -0800

>Hi Ed,
>             A dab of white glue applied to the wire of the forward
> terminating, will greatly reduce that noise by de tuning the duplex.
>Just another emergency fix.
>Regards Roger

Hi, Roger

I agree that a drop or two of white glue applied to the front duplex wire
will often douse some of the jangle, but I don't feel that it is done by
detuning the duplex. It doesn't seem to me that having the duplex exactly
in tune with a partial of the speaking length is the problem. Instead, I
think that the wire, slightly flattened by pressure of the V-bar, carves
itself a little saddle and then jingles around in it when played loudly.

White glue remains a little bit pliable when dried out. I think that the
drops on the wire just absorb some of the vibration. I imagine that bubble
gum (yuk) would do the same thing.

Just MHO --

Susan