after ring

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:55:29 -0800

And another fine thread comes unravelled, destined to become a bit of lint on the warp & woof (or is that warped woof?) on the tapestry of piano-techno-musico-weaving, only to be plucked off, caut up, & cast into the rag bin of history, whereupon it may one day reincarnate as a bit of a Wurlitzer hammer.

Ah, the twists & turns of virtual fate!  :-)>   (goatee, no glasses)

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wimblees@aol.com
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 12:16 PM
  Subject: Re: after ring

  In a message dated 1/13/03 12:44:28 PM Central Standard Time, davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:

    This is a 1 (one) year old piano, ..well within any warrantee.   How  would the dialogue read if you try to obtain dealer / manufacturer  input BEFORE  reshaping the capo?   and  AFTER ?

  First of all, thanks for all of the suggestions.

  I did write to Steinway, and this is the response back from David Kirkland. "After-ring in the 7th octave is okay; it means that the soundboard is resonating well in that area, and you have a lively piano, which is good.  It shouldn't be objectionable, but the only thing I can think of that will influence it is the tuning in the 7th octave.  Rarely, I think, do tuners give enough attention to tuning the 7th octave.  Perhaps if the 7th octave were tuned better, the after-ring would improve or diminish.  And who's to say that pianists don't use the 7th octave much.  As a pianist, I like the 7th octave so much that I have my own name for it; I call it "the toy" (piano)."

  Subsequently, when I tuned the piano a day or two later, I paid more attention to the problem. I found that it was e6, G#6 and b6 that were sounding the most. I could hear the other notes, but not as audible.

  The after ring is not loud. In fact, it is something you have to listen for and it is not something that can be heard in the audience. Therefore, I'm going to leave the piano alone.  I'm not too concerned that one student noticed. When faculty members start complaining, I will try to do something about it. But even before I do that, I will try to convince them this is a natural phenomenon of the piano. (as David pointed out in anther post to me, it's kind of like discovering there are no dampers in the 7th or 8th octaves.)

  Wim