Richard, Isaac & euro-gunk

Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:03:22 +0100

Mark Cramer wrote:

> I'm currently 'r&r'-ing the wips for an August-Forster action. The spring
> slots have an amber-colored, paste-like friction treatment which has left a
> greenish coating on the springs.

Never did figure out what that stuff was. But you see it a lot on Eastern
European pianos. I dont know how many Forster uprights I've had to repin.
Zimmermans also but to a lesser degree. I have even seen this stuff show up in
Tzech pianos. Not much to do if it gets sticky but to either re-flange (use wood
instead of that plastic stuff they come with) or clean and repin the bushings.

> Wait, it's not as bad as you think. The green stuff wipes off easily, the
> springs are shiny and smooth, and slip freely within the groove. This action
> is eighty-years old, though it looks brand new.

I think the green you see is standard green gunk... on springs lubricated with
vasiline or some such creative solution. Clean and use a better lubricant me
thinks.

> I see no reason to remove the gunk and attempt to replace it with something
> else. I'd just like to know what it is, and if indeed there are any concerns
> leaving it behind.

That amber stuff usually ends up causing the action to frezze up.  My only guess
is that it is left over lubricant of some sort.

> I'm sure those of you working with European instruments will have an answer,
> especially Richard or Isaac.

Cheers
RicB

--