New Bostons

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:53:22 -0700

    I do it when the pianos are starting to sound harsh. Not just when I
can start to see grooves (which really happens almost next day). But once
they are deeply grooved, you can't really use the technique until you file.
Steam will expand the non-grooved areas so they tend to damp the string as
they rebound, and you can't iron successfully.
    In a practice room, it might be around once a semester or so. Depends
on use level. And then file when the grooving is deep enough that steam and
ironing doesn't bring it back.
Fred