help with temperament experiment

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:46:39 +0000

Hey, it kinda rhymes!

Anyway, over on pianotech, we've come up with an experiment that I'd like to
see any willing CAUTs participate in:

Comparing ET vs. one particular historical temperament.  Please choose two
matching instruments, adjoining practice studios, or wherever you think
appropriate.  To make this as "blind" as possible, post notices and collect

Students / Staff

We are evaluating these two instruments.  Please participate in this
evaluation.  Play both of these instruments, list any differences you can
feel and/or hear, (touch, tone, musicality, dynamic range) and place your
very much for your input.

***********

Obviously, this is limited to those of you with tuning gear that can work
with offsets from ET.  Our chosen temperament for this experiment uses the
following offsets:

I would suggest the following offsets from your best ET, with no forced
stretching, since I don't think non-ET tunings need it :
C  +5
C# +1
D  +3
D# +3
E  -2
F  +5
F# 0
G  +5
G# +2
A 0
A# +4
B -1

We should probably re-test after some time with the tunings switched, but
let's just do the first round for now.

Any takers?  Let the group know.

thanks

Ron Koval