music for HT?

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:22:42 -0700

Ron,
    Here are a few Mozart examples with some dramatic harmonic movement, which
should show off HT pretty well. All are fairly slow and relatively easy to
learn/play:
Sonata KV280, Adagio movement (especially second half)
Sonata KV309, first movement, development section (right after the repeat of
the first section)
Fantasy in D minor, opening arpeggio section.
    There's a wealth of harmonically quirky writing throughout Haydn. He loved
to surprise with a sudden shift of harmony - playing the same material in a
distant key. Beethoven has plenty of examples, but in a quick survey I didn't
find anything that was realtively easy to play. Schubert has a lot of dramatic
enharmonic shifts (where sharps become flats and the like, and one goes from d
flat minor, say, to g sharp major). There are also many sections in Bach where
he runs through a number of keys in rapid succession - usually most
dramatically in minor keys, and with a fair amount of counterpoint, hence not
real easy to play. The b minor flute/harpsichord sonata is a wonderful example.

    Hope this helps.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico