prepped piano HELP! (xlist)

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:15:08 -0600

On 3/11/03 2:32 PM, "Donald McKechnie" <dmckech@ithaca.edu> wrote:

> Conrad,=20
>=20
> Several years ago Alan Eder came out with a very good video on proper way=
s to
> prepare a piano. I do not have any contact info handy other than his phon=
> number in the PTG directory. I suggest getting a copy of this video if
> possible and showing it to the professor.
>=20
> Don=20
> =20
> Friends,
>=20
> It's a monday in the trenches again...
>=20
> Came in to find a message from one of the piano profs.  He'd done some
> preparation to the NYC D and says he will be doing the same to the
> hamburger D before his Wednesday recital.
>=20
> I found:
> -key letter designations taped to the damper heads. not a problem with th=
> tape he used.
> -nodes marked on strings (plain & wound) with MASKING TAPE!
>=20
> I do not like any tape at all on strings, and masking tape leaves a resid=
ue.
>=20
> Since little mushroom me is not likely to dissuade him from taping, what
> tape is the least offensive (for someone hell-bent on taping) to use????
>=20
>=20
> Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
> Luther College, 700 College Dr., Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
> Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076
>=20
> - People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan Whit=
>=20

Don & Conrad
I thought that film had been available from the home office.  It was
professionally filmed with stunning photography.
    At the same session I showed a film that Todd Welbourne of UW-Madison
piano faculty made showing what preparation we allowed on our pianos.  Whil=
it was not the quality of Allan=B9s film the points were well identified and
the dos and don=B9ts were very specific.
    We put the film on reserve at the music library and required anyone
doing interior performance to view the film.  It has saved many hours of
answering questions and describing each procedure of installation.
    If you=B9re interested and the damage hasn=B9t already been done I would be
happy to see what I can do to get information about UW protocol.
Joel
--=20
Joel A. Jones  RPT
Assistant Director - TEAM 2 00 3