possible committee members for developing curriculum?

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:23:43 -0800

Wim et al,

Certainly there are two classes being talked about here. I am very
interested in teaching a class for piano majors (and anyone else interested
in the piano). The objectives I would have for this class are in part to
help pianists become more knowledgeable about their instrument and the folks
who maintain them and to develop a common language between (among?) pianists
and technicians. I am not terribly interested in teaching a class to train
someone to become a piano technician. Those classes already exist at North
Bennett, Potter, PTG etc.and I for one am just not interested in doing that.
Having said that, the two classes are not mutually exclusive. There is some
overlap, and the committee could (and probably will?) look at developing
both. My own feeling though is that our time would be better spent
developing the class for pianists, rather than for potential technicians.

There are several techs already teaching classes, Newton came up with an
outline back in 1988 and I'm guessing everyone who has mentioned an interest
has jotted down notes to themselves about ideas for such a class. So the
challenge is to put together a curriculum from these various sources broad
enough to satisfy the objectives we agree upon allowing each of us to choose
aspects of the class to teach while not teaching others (some classes may be
quarter long, others semester long, and others of shorter lengths), but not
so broad that we lose sight of our objectives. (Boy, that was a helluva
sentence, better not put me in charge of writing! :-})

I'm looking forward to working on this project.

Here's an updated list of folks expressing interest in participating in this
project (if you're not interested, let me know!):

Fred S. Sturm                         	fssturm@unm.edu
Mary C. Smith                        	MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Elwood Doss, Jr.                     	edoss@utm.edu
Donald McKechnie                	dmckech@ithaca.edu
Alan McCoy                        	amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
James A Busby                      	jab367@email.byu.edu
Greg Granoff                         	gjg2@humboldt.edu
David M. Porritt                    	dm.porritt@verizon.net
Ed Foote                        	A440A@aol.com
Wim Blees                        	wimblees@aol.com
Vincent E. Mrykalo              	mrykalve@potsdam.edu
Eric,Wolfley                        	WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Bill Shull                        	Bdshull@aol.com

Alan
Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University Piano Technician
509-359-7017
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu